Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Describe God

I love God, He's my Father, Lord, Savior and King. When reading Psalms 91 in Brian Simmons Psalms Poetry on Fire a phrase in verse two caused me to pause: Here's how I describe Him ... I wonder; "How do I describe God?"  I know how I feel, but how would I describe Him?

It's the Christmas season and I describe Him as a baby in a manger.  At Easter He's the crucified Savior.  Both are wonderful images yet I sense I could describe Him as something more than what He is, more of who He is and how I know Him.

I wrestle with descriptors as He's indescribable.  Words like wonderful, marvelous, magnificent all apply but are inadequate for what I want.  To describe how I know Him words like generous, kind, patient, gentle, jealous, passionate are only a start.  To state the obvious; He is love personified. 

Then in Psalm 8, from Poetry on Fire, David describes Him as a 'Fascinating Artist'.  There it is... that's the God I know, He is Fascinating! He never ceases to amaze and astound me.  Just when I think I've figured something out He smiles, then expands and elaborates in such a way I respond; WOW!  I love that about Him.

His artistry is a wonder!  The orange of a sunset, pink sunrises, grey thunderstorms, spring greens, summers bouquet of color, falls brilliance, winter draped in white.  Who but God could have such a diverse creative imagination.  I like that about Him!

The list of adjectives are endless for describing God; perhaps that's why He said to simply call Him I Am.  Yet in discovering new ways to describe Him I'm drawn ever closer to knowing more about His character as Father, Lord, Savior and King; how exciting!

                                                           
                                                                  So, how do you describe God?

No comments:

Post a Comment